A Positive Path for Spiritual Living
The Unity Philosophy
Unity has a philosophy that is spiritual but not religious. It is based on love, not fear. Unity honors diversity and all paths to God. We see God as good and everywhere present as we affirm the spark of divinity in each and every one of us. Unity offers a positive, practical, progressive approach to Christianity. Through our metaphysical interpretation of the Bible, we see Jesus as the great example, not the great exception. We are all God's beloved.
Unity is a positive path for spiritual living that provides practical teachings to help people live healthy, prosperous and meaningful lives by discovering and living their spiritual purpose and potential. The Unity movement was founded by Charles and Myrtle Fillmore in 1889 as a healing ministry based on the power of prayer and the power of our thoughts to create our own experience of reality. The Fillmores were ahead of their times vegetarians who believed and applied the power of affirmative prayer, interpreted the Bible metaphysically, and taught that God is present within us all. Unity Worldwide Ministries is headquartered at Unity Village in Missouri.
Unity's Five Basic Principles
1. God is all there is and is present everywhere. This is the force of Love and Wisdom that underlies all of existence.
2. Human beings are divine at their core and, therefore, inherently good.
3. Thoughts have the power to create events and attract experiences.
4. Prayer and meditation keep us aligned with the One great power in the universe.
5. It is not enough to understand spiritual teachings. We must live the Truth we know.